The current Parish Church,St. Michael’s (1960’s – )
The current Parish Church, St. Michael’s (above) was built in the 1960’s, to cater for a growing population in the town. It replaced the previous building, also known as St. Michael’s. Please contact the parish office for any enquiries you may have. St. Michael’s is located on the corner of Stanhope St and Stanhope Place on the east bank of the river Barrow. Work commenced on the original Parish Church in 1803 and it served as the Parish Church until September 1960. It was then demolished and replaced by a temporary wooden structure, which in turn was replaced by the current building. The current Church was officially opened in 1964.
St. Mary’s, Barrowhouse
St. Mary’s, Barrowhouse, is what is known as a ‘chapel of ease’. A chapel of ease often exists in order to facilitate worship at a location not convenient to the parish church. For more information please take a look here: Wikipedia: Chapel of ease. St. Mary’s has no permanent curate, and is served by all the priests of the parish. For any enquiries in Barrowhouse, please contact Mary O’Keeffe or Mary Brennan, or the parish email@example.com
The old St. Michael’s Parish Church (1803 – 1960’s)